Search
.
Sunday, January 30, 2011
smell the coffee
Sorry for the eardrum bleeding my last post likely induced, but I had to get that warning out before it's too late. Better to be informed than ignant.
For those of you who hung in through all that, I think it's time I hit you with some decent tunage. Some of you may already know this group, but for those of you who don't, today's your lucky day.
Blue Scholars is a rapper/dj duo from Seattle that's been around for a good few years, and produces some really easy-going intelligent music. The pair's music consistently reflects strong ties to their heritage and their city. Seattle has always had a strong music scene (Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix come to mind), but the area isn't really known as a hip hop mecca. Blue Scholars has quietly destroyed that stigma, mastering something I like to call observational rap. Many of their songs are literally describing scenes around Seattle, something that's both lyrically challenging and poetically beautiful. Too many rappers just look for rhyming words to finish a verse, but MC Geologic can fuse rhyme and story together so fluidly that you feel like he's just talking to you on a city bench. Dj Sabzi throws down some jazzy piano beats that make the stories very montage-esque, a total compliment to Geologic's flow. (Sabzi also collabs with another Seattle rapper to form Common Market, definitely worth checking out as well.)
In addition to the dope storytelling, Blue Scholars know their way around a video camera, filming some awesome videos. It's always great when artists can create a video that helps tell their story rather than distract with bells and whistles (Yeah I'm talking to you Ying Yang Twins). The vids have definitely made me want to visit the Queen City.
The song I'm showing you guys is called "Coffee and Snow". Its basically documenting a snowday in Seattle. It never really snows in Seattle, so this was kind of a big deal I guess (wutup Boston?). It's crazy how engaging and relaxing a song this is despite how mundane the subject matter is. Pretty cool stuff.
This song documents a morning commute in Seattle. Again the video really adds to the overall feel. There's definitely some politically and socially charged verses in here cleverly disguised by MC Geologic's buttery smooth delivery.
"cuz money dont translate to talent money, and talent dont mean your gaurenteed anything honey"
No Rest For The Weary by caskade
My selections started to lean unintentionally towards songs about my least favorite part of the day: the morning. I figured I'd try to throw together some more of my favorite morning tracks and complete the theme. These songs aren't meant to pump you up or wake you up, they're strictly to support your inner chill. Smooth operating in the AM, how we do..
In the Morning by caskade
J.Cole minus Drake "In the Morning", love that piano rift
good morning by caskade
The legend himself, Nas, walking us through NYC in the AM with "Good Morning"
K-Os came to Northeastern a couple of years and actually outperformed Drake at his own concert, here's one of my favs describing my fav morning, "Sunday Morning"
caskade..coastin...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment